Film
Jacob Mendez
Jacob Mendez

Will Alec Baldwin go to prison? That's what the armor master from the movie “Rust” wants

A summary of Gutierrez-Reed's phone calls to her loved ones was included in a brief filed in April by Kari T. Morrissey, one of the prosecutors in the woman's trials and Baldwin. It included opposition to the armorer's application for parole from prison.

The conversation records were intended to prove that Gutierrez-Reed was innocent of Hutchins' death and the injury of director Joel Souza. The tragedy occurred on October 21, 2021, on the set of the western film “Rust”, when the revolver held by Baldwin went off during rehearsals, injuring Hutchins and Souza. The operator's life could not be saved. The armorer was accused of failing to fulfill her duties and loading Baldwin's gun with live ammunition.

For Gutierrez-Reed, this was the second film on which she worked as the lead armorer. Previously, during “Stara Szkoła”, her behavior was criticized by her co-workers. At one point, she fired her gun without warning, causing the lead actor, Nicolas Cage, to leave the set.

According to a letter submitted by the prosecutor's office, Gutierrez-Reed spoke vulgarly about the prosecutor and the jurors. She felt that she was wrongly blamed for the whole accident. She once claimed that if she was summoned to Baldwin's trial, she would not appear. Another time she would like to see the actor in prison. The woman's lawyer commented on the case. According to him, revealing parts of the statements of a person who may have said them during emotional turmoil is unfair.

Prosecutors want Gutierrez-Reed's testimony, and to that end they are trying to ensure that anything she says won't further incriminate her. He fears that if the woman decides not to testify, Baldwin's defense will use her previous testimony. During them, she stated that she should have checked the actor's weapon once more beforehand.

Baldwin is charged with manslaughter in the death of Hutchins and the wounding of Souza. He faces up to 18 months in prison. The actor claims that he does not know where the live ammunition came from. He also claims that he did not pull the trigger and does not know why the gun fired. His trial will begin on July 10, 2024.